Saturday, August 19, 2006

Another story of God's provison

Here's another one of those things from our own personal horror story in which God showed Himself in a mighty way.

When my husband was arrested, I was working part time at a preschool as a teacher's aide. He had been the breadwinner, and everything I made (which wasn't much) was just extra. Our youngest went with me and attended school there, and aside from those 3.5 hours a day, I was a stay at home mom.

"How are we going to survive??" was a very big question. I worked at the school for the previous 3 years, and before that I spent some time just taking care of the kids. I didn't finish college, I had no recent marketable skills, and I was afraid. I added everything up, and came up with a dollar amount that I needed to make in order to keep the house and feed my kids. It seemed impossible. I prayed about it, and friends prayed about, and when I felt human enough again, I started sending out resumes and applying for jobs. I thought for sure I'd find SOMETHING, even if I had to take a job temporarily until one that paid enough came along. I got NO responses, no interviews, nothing. I went to a temp agency, and did well on their skills testing, they said I should have no problem finding an assignment that could turn permanent. I called every day asking for work, and every day they said call back tomorrow. Finally I quit calling. During this time, I saw an ad online for a job with the police deparment as a 911 operator. I thought "I can do that!" Then I thought, "no, I can't do that." I waffled for a long time, interested one day and terrified of the idea the next. There was nothing else opening up anywhere, so finally I took the test. I had to, the starting pay was slightly more than that magic number I determined I needed. It was one of those deals where you take the test, and if you pass, they may or may not call you back. They kept an eligible list for 6 months and if they called by then, great, if not, so sorry. I took the test in July of 2004. I had my one and only interview that same day with another company that paid close to what I needed to make, I convinced myself that I wanted the one that didn't involve people screaming in my ear that someone had been shot. But God knew differently and I didn't get that other job. I was disappointed, feeling rejected, and still very afraid that I was going to lose my house. I had help, but I knew I couldn't keep depending on others to pay my house payment. Finally in September, I got a call back from the 911 job. It was one of those hurry up and wait situations! After the initial test, there was another test. And then an interview. And then a background investigation and a polygraph. I kept waiting for the rejection, but on October 8, 2005, the background investigator called me and said "Can you start the training class on Monday?"

The ONLY job that opened up the whole time was the ONLY job that paid enough to meet the needs. And I know it was a God thing. As it turned out, I couldn't start the class when it was first offered, I had to wait until the next class, which started November 22nd. Because during the background investigation I had to tell them what we had been through with my husband, they knew I desperately needed a job, and they let me work in a different department before the class started so that I could start earning a paycheck. I worked those two weeks in the employment services bureau, which is the bureau that handles the background investigations. One day toward the end of my two weeks there, the office manager pulled me aside and said to me "We know what you've been through, and we know this Christmas is looking a rough for you and your kids. The thing about the police department is we're family. We fight like family, but we take care of each other like family. Will you please let us take care of you and your kids this Christmas?" And they did.

It's still a God thing. I've been there almost two years now, and I still love it. Sure it's stressful, and there are are things that get to me, but for the most part I don't take other people's tragedies home with me. When something bad happens, I pray for those people, I trust that even though I don't always know what happes, God does, and then I move on. It feels good though to know that I am the one who can get them the help they need.

Occasionally, I get a call from a mom who suspects her child is being harmed in the same way my daughter was. I thought that would bother me, and I wouldn't be able to do it. But you know, I am GOOD at those calls. I hate it when they come in, but I'm always thankful that I was the one that answered the call, because I can offer those people something nobody else in that room can - understanding because I've been there, and hope because we've made it through.

4 comments:

Brenda said...

Thank you for sharing your story. God knew what He was doing when he placed you in your position, giving you an extended family in your coworkers, and giving you an opportunity to pray for and minister to those who call.

Our God is awesome!

Erna said...

I'm glad God provided in this way. He is a good and faithful God. It is also a blessing that He has allowed you to be sensitive to the needs of others that think they are going through a similar situation. Blessings to you!

Rebekah said...

I am just reading through some of your Blogs and my heart cries. God is in control even if we dont know where He is going. The police fmaily is a strong one, they were there for me thru my divorce when I had no other family around

Stephanie said...

Connie, Thak you for sharing your story. I am sitting here in England, blog surfing and was interested by yours because I am just starting a blog about provision stories. Bless you, you sound like a woman who knows her God :o)