Sunday, September 24, 2006

Another one of those stories of God's provision and goodness

On a Wednesday in July 2004, the detective working on my ex-husband's case called me and asked me to come down to look at pictures to see if I recognized the child in them, because they had been sent from our computer. I did not recognize her, but on my way out the detective told me something that meant that my husband had taken my daughter to meet a pedophile from the internet in person. He had told me she was not there when they met, so this meant that he lied to me again. I verified the information with my daughter on Friday at her counseling appointment, and on Saturday morning my husband called me on the phone from jail (we were still on somewhat good terms at that point.) The first thing I said to him was "Did you take my daughter to meet that guy in Tucson?" At first he said no, and then when I confronted him with the information I had, he said "Well, he never touched her..." I was SO ANGRY and SO HURT, this man had spent the previous 4 months telling me how honest and upfront he had been with me. This information sent me into a tailspin. I felt like the world had been ripped from under my feet. My two younger kids were the only ones home that day, they were 7 and 4 at the time. I knew I could not stay in the house all day because I would only sit there and cry, and it would not be good for the kids. So finally I decided to take them to the mall, even though I had no money, no job, no prospects, we just needed to get out of the house. My van was low on gas, and I was planning to go to a gas station by the mall, but as I approached, the police had that way blocked off due to an accident. I was running on vapors. There was only one road I could take, and that led into the road around the mall, where there was no gas station, but there was a car wash with a gas pump. I pulled in there, explained I was desperate for gas, and to please let me get gas even though I could not afford a car wash. It was one of those full service car wash places. The attendant agreed to let me get gas, and as I was inside paying, he came up to me and said "We're going to wash your van for you today. No charge." I protested but he would have none of it. He took my keys and said "it will just be a few minutes." Maybe it was obvious that I was in a bad way that day (I hadn't been crying though, so I didn't think it was THAT obvious) or maybe he was an angel. They washed the outside and cleaned and vacuumed the inside, washed the windows, shined up the chrome. I have 5 kids, and so my van did desperately need cleaning. Getting back in that clean van did wonders for my frame of mind, it was such a blessing. In the face of what we were dealing with, a clean van may not sound like much, but you know, it felt like a message straight from God saying "I'm taking care of you, even the little things."

That little thing was so big to me that day, I will never forget the kindness of that attendant, and the goodness of God. And you know what? He definitely HAS taken care of us, in a most awesome way.

4 comments:

Grafted Branch said...

I, too, am deeply moved by the seemingly little things that minister so well to my soul. They just say, "See, I AM here."

mouse said...

Your right a clean vehicle does make you feel awful good, that was a very kind man.

lori said...

I am sorry to hear what you have been going through. I feel almost bad posting the things I do on my blog after reading just a bit of your story. I am glad you can see some good in things.

Connie said...

Don't feel bad!! I only tell our story to offer hope - not make others feel bad or feel sorry for us. It's been 2.5 years since his arrest, and we are definitely healing and moving on. That first year was AWFUL - new information coming out all the time, dealing with the court stuff, trying to find a job and struggling with that... but God and God alone brought us through. He rescued my daughter and has taken care of us since then! The whole thing is an amazing testimony, because God's faithfulness has been on display the whole time :)