Wednesday, September 13, 2006

A dream... or something else?

I'm going to attempt to tell this so it makes some sense, but it's a dream after all, and those rarely do...

I've been having some really odd dreams lately, but this one last night has me puzzled. I guess I was reading a book, but it was more like watching a movie. There were these two characters, one was good and the other was bad, trying to harm the good one. They were in some kind of a battle. The bad one was badly scarred from head to toe, as if he had been burned, but worse. He was so scarred, he barely resembled a human anymore. In this battle, the good guy (who was very handsome) began to cut away parts of the scars of the bad guy with his sword. When he did that, the scars were replaced by new, healthy and whole flesh. When the scarred man saw this, instead of welcoming the sight of being healed, he became even more angry. He snarled "Don't do that! I don't want to be healed, I NEED MY SCARS! They are what drive me and give me power! I NEED THEM!!!" The good guy didn't listen, and continued cut away the scars. After an epic battle, the scars were gone, and the guy who once used all his scars and hurts as weapons now had none. All he could do was weep, and admit it was time to let go of his scars. He let the good guy heal him, and was then more powerful than before.

In my dream I closed the book and wept because I knew the book was written for me.

And then when I woke up, I wept for real, as I too have resisted healing because I needed my scars.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Hi Connie~
I hope this doesn't sound too disjointed...I'm still so tired from Emily's surgery. But I really feel that this was a dream for you from the Lord.

And what an incredible dream! I am a dreamer myself, and I believe that God often speaks to us through dreams. And HE also gives the interpretation. (Read the 1st &2nd chapters of the book of Daniel.)

I'd like to share what I believe your dream represents. But of course you pray about it and ask the Lord what HE says to YOU.

In this particular dream, the 'good guy' is obviously the Lord Jesus. Scripture tells us that "He sends forth His word and heals them and rescues them from the pit and destruction." ~Psalm 107:20 The Lord is rescuing and healing the 'bad guy'. And isn't that exactly what Jesus does? He rescues us!

You've heard the phrase 'hurting people hurt people'. That's what is being shown here; a person who is so wounded that he's hurting the ONE who loves him. In addition, the 'bad' guy is probably comfortable with his wounds and wants to stay that way -he's familiar with them and probably gets some attention. Also a person who is wounded to this extent can think there is no hope for him ~ I believe that how this person looked in the dream represents a warped perception of himself. The wounded person can also be a be trapped in that 'victim mentality'. He actually thinks he needs the wounds,(which is a gross deception) and fights the healing process. Healing can be painful...hello?...a sword can hurt.

The sword represent the Sword of the Spirit. Ephesians 6:17 tells us that the "Sword of the Spirit" is the Word of God. The word of God is "Living and active, sharper than any two edged sword (Hebrews 4:12).

What is so cool is that he finally lets the 'good guy', the Lord, heal him, and then he was stronger than before. Sometimes even facing the healing process is daunting and we resist it out of fear.

But God is SO good. He has plans for our hope and for a future (Jeremiah 29:11). I believe the reason that you cried in your dream is because the Lord is reaching out to you. His presence always makes me cry; he is so gentle and loving!

Anyway, hopefully this makes some sense and I hope you don't feel I was too presumptuous in any way. Pray and ask the Lord to grant you insight and revelation into this dream, and He will!

Blessings!

Connie said...

Oh, I had immediate clarity of what the dream meant, and it was pretty much in line with what you've had to say. I know I've used my scars and hurts as weapons, I've held on to them to protect myself from further hurt.

God has been very good to us through this ordeal, and I know this is the beginning of the next step for me.

Thank you Julie :)

mouse said...

Connie I understand where you are coming from. A lot of times it is scary to let go of the scars, by keeping them there you think they remind you or the ones you love to not get hurt again. Plus like julie said it is tough and painful work to have to work through the scars. Coming back from Texas this trip I finally realized why my dad told me years ago he was very sorry for what he had done but then told my mom I was lying when I told her about it, it is because he is very ashamed of it and I understand that. I have done things in my past that I am very ashamed of (drugs, drinking etc. that I would never want my kids to know about because I am very ashamed of). But understanding where my dad was coming from finally lifted a huge burden from me and I felt more like a whole person again. You are the first person I have shared these new thoughts with, I haven't even told my hubby or counselor yet because I have still been getting comfortable with my new way of thinking.

Debs said...

I find it hard sometimes letting go of my 'scars'. I know that I'd be better off without them, but it's hard to know who I would be without them. For me illness is a big part of my life (I've got asthma, eczema, hayfever, allegies...) and I've been prayed for loads of times, but not seen sustained change. I think part of the problem is that I'm scared because who would I be if I didn't have all those things.
Overall I guess I know that God is in control and together we're gonna work through this. Isn't it great that God is patient and always loves us however many times we have to come back and say 'hey, I need some more help with this'.

I came to your blog from Blest with sons' site and just has to comment because what you wrote really struck a chord with me.