Friday, September 01, 2006

Feels like Saturday

My kids don't have school today, so it feels like Saturday to me. The bad thing is, I didn't have the night off last night, and I don't tonight, so I need to sleep. How well do you think that will work with a 6 year old, a 9 year old, a 14 year old and a 17 year old roaming around the house? I'm thinking drugs might be helpful. For them, not me. (I'm KIDDING!) I stopped and got some ear plugs on the way home from work, so we'll see if that helps. The biggest problem is that I wake up (even without noise) look at the clock and panic because I think I'm supposed to be somewhere doing something and I've missed it because I was asleep. Repeat 3-4x a day.

Last night I was really thinking I should look for a job where I didn't have to work nights, and then I looked at my pay stub and realized that it may be rough, but they really do compensate me well. And that 4.5% cost of living raise that just took effect didn't offend me either. And I also remember that the REASON I work nights is so I can take my kids to school, pick them up from school, cook dinner for them, and help them with their homework. Any other shift, and any other job, I'd be sacrificing something in that list. Maybe when the younger ones are older, but now, I'll keep doing what I'm doing. I really do believe it's where God wants me to be.

5 comments:

lori said...

I feel for you. I am a Janitor for our church. I work night on Tuesday's and Thursday's so I can be home with my children. I am sleep deprived right now. You sound like you are a very good mom.

Connie said...

thanks Lori, I dunno how good of a mom I am - I confess I get crabby from lack of sleep and my kids have a lot of responsibility, maybe too much... but they need a place to live and food to eat, and we are thankful for God's provision :)

Julie said...

I got a real chuckle out of that video...wonder how many takes they did 'till nobody fell off. LOL

Wow...I stand in awe of any woman who can work a night job while raising 4 kids. If I even have one bad night's sleep, I can barely function...well, I function, but let's just say I'm a wee bit cranky.

So you just wear those ear-plugs, girl. Tell the kids only to wake you if the house is on fire or someone is bleeding.

I'm praying that you'll get the sleep you need. Great BLESSINGS on you and your family.

Julie said...

P.S.
Hey~thanks for linking me...I'm SO excited that someone actually linked me. (I need to get out more often...){big smile}

Connie said...

Thanks Julie! I threaten their lives on a daily basis :P The weekends are hard, because they're all home. This weekend, my 17 year old has 3 friends over. For the whole weekend. I've threatened their lives also. :) I actually have 5 kids, but one is 21 and rather self sufficient. She still lives here, but sometimes we don't see her much. I am blessed, the kids do help out and they are basically well behaved (but normal kids!) The older 3 really do carry a lot of responsibility and I don't think I could make it work without their help. Of course, that brings on the mommy guilt, but there's really only so much I can do.

And I know what you mean about the links, it's the little things! (I need to get out more too!)