Sunday, September 10, 2006

For some reason

my 6 year old is obsessed with getting snow gear. He's been begging me everyday for the past week to get him boots, mittens, a hat, and a winter coat. He had a winter coat that he never got a chance to wear. And he's has hand-me-down boots that he's used to play in around the house. My 6 year old has never seen s*n*o*w. (Can you guess my opinion of the stuff?? It's a BAD 4 letter word that starts with S!) My 9 year old doesn't remember it, as we moved away from the s*n*o*w*belt when she was 2. So my kids are dreaming of a winter wonderland. And I suppose it is sad and pathetic that 2 of my kids have no idea what it's like to freeze certain parts of your anatomy off while building s*n*o*w people. When I worked at the preschool here, in January we'd try to teach the kids about s*n*o*w and ice, and it's kind of hard when most of them have absolutely NO clue that frozen water falls from the sky in certain places. So we have s*n*o*w*ball fights with wadded up white tissue paper. We have them step on paper plates and "ice skate" around the room. We have parents freeze large containers of water and dump them out in the water tables, put mittens on the kids, and let them play. So Snugglebutt is old enough to realize that Flagstaff isn't all that far away, and it s*n*o*w*s there in winter. Ok, there's a REASON we moved somewhere that white stuff doesn't fall from the sky! Ahhh, I think this year, I'm going to have to put myself aside and take the boy to freeze his posterior end off for a few hours. But as I've been typing this out, I think I've figured out why he wants s*n*o*w so bad. I think the boy has spent way too much time reading Calvin and Hobbes ;)

No comments: