Monday, September 04, 2006

Such a fun day


We had a wonderful day today. I am off Sundays and Mondays so it was the perfect opportunity to do something with the kids. The oldest (21) had to work, but I took everyone else to Colossal Cave near Tucson. OMGosh we had so much fun. The cave itself was fun, but after that we had a picnic, and walked around the park for a while. The park is very very cool. They have stables so you can go horseback riding, and there is a small museum about the cave and the Civil Conservation Corp that laid the pathways inside the cave. There's a little playground, and a fun house mirror from 1939. That was a HOOT! I swear my kids spent 15 minutes howling at each other! We had ice cream, looked around in the gift shops, then decided to head back home, about little more than a 2 hour drive. The weather was wonderful, not too hot because there was some cloud cover. The cloud cover made things very interesting though, and we got some very cool pictures of the clouds and mountains, really just breathtaking (it was a GREAT day for picture taking!) On our way back, we stopped at an outlet mall, and I picked up some books for the kids. Snugglebutt got a level 3 early reader book about Seabiscuit, and I'm not even exaggerating when I tell you that precisely 17 minutes after we got in the car, he said "that was a good book but it was sad!" Sassy got a book of mad-libs, and that entertained them all the rest of the way home. That was hilarious.

I'm just so impressed with my older kids. My oldest son (I'll call him W00t, he goes around saying that all the time!) is 17 and never once said this is lame, I wanna be with my friends. (He did however occasionally look at his cell phone and sigh because there was no service where we were! :P) He laughed and had fun and helped with the picnic, and he really got into the picture taking. DQ too, she had a great time too. I wouldn't blame either of them if they didn't want to go, but I am so happy they did.

We really needed to get out of the house for a while :)

And the best part? I won't have to scrounge around for pics for Wordless Wednesdays, because now I have a *TON* of really good ones (including the pictures above.) Yes, I am that messed up, that I kept thinking "that will be a good one for the blog..."

6 comments:

Julie said...

I'm glad you had such a nice family day...COOL cave! All the caves here in Florida are UNDER water.

I'm hoping that some of your 17-year old son's great attitude will migrate over this way and slap my 17-year old son upside the head...

Connie said...

Oh mine definitely has his moments... there was once that he called me and asked if he could do something other than what he originally planned. I wasn't so keen on the idea, so I started to say "I have to work and..." He interrupted me and said "Look, I don't want your spiel, just give me a yes or no." Ok! NO! Then he started with the I'm sorry mommy, please mommy! Yeah whatever :) He really is a normal teenager, just yesterday he wasn't a typical teenager LOL!

Julie said...

Funny how attitudes shift when the answer is "NO!"

Well, thank God for occasional outbursts of goodness. :) It keeps us hopeful...LOL

Tasra Dawson said...

Sounds like a wonderful day! And the pics are gorgeous...can't wait to see more on WW. With all your great photos you should definitely get them in a scrapbook...nothing fancy, just keep it simple so the whole family can enjoy looking through them together and remembering the fun memories! Happy Tuesday!

maurinsky said...

And the best part? I won't have to scrounge around for pics for Wordless Wednesdays, because now I have a *TON* of really good ones (including the pictures above.) Yes, I am that messed up, that I kept thinking "that will be a good one for the blog..."

That's not messed up, that's the sign of a good blogger!

mouse said...

Sounds like ya'll all had a really good day, and I think family picnicks are just the best. My 19 and 17 year old boys are the best, it is that 14 year old girl we have that doesn't want to be seen with her mama and daddy or waste her important friendship time on doing family stuff. Gee will I be glad when she is out of this stage.