Sunday, October 22, 2006

The least of these

For a long time, I've been meaning to get together small packages to give to homeless people we see on the streets. For one reason or another, probably laziness is the biggest reason, I haven't done it. Yesterday on the way to the kids' play (opening night was Friday, closing night was Saturday) we passed by a man on the offramp of the freeway, and he was holding a sign that said hungry. My 6 year old questioned why that man was standing there, and why he was hungry. I explained to him that not everybody had places to sleep or food to eat. Snugglebutt wanted to take the man to get him something to eat right then and there. We continued on to the play. Have I mentioned that the play was Godspell? As we passed this man, I kept thinking of seeing Matthew 25:31-46 acted out on the stage by these kids. The words "whatever you have done unto the least of these, you have done unto me" echoed in my head. And then this morning I saw Grafted Branch's post and I knew I had to get off my lazy hind quarters and DO something. See, I've been so worried about money, but then I decided to not worry, to trust. And you know what? It's all ok. We have enough, plus some. So, after church, the 3 younger kids and I went to Wallyworld and decided to DO something. We came up with 8 bags consisting of water, tuna and cracker kits, slim jims, trail mix, crackers, gum and an index card with a Bible verse on it. We chose Philipians 4:6-7, it's my life verse :) It's not much, but it's something. And after dropping off the 17 year old off at his job, we went driving looking for someone we could give a bag. It didn't take long in this big city. There was only one that we could actually get to, but we're going to go out every weekend till these bags are gone, and then make more and do it again. I'm also going to keep a bag in the car for when I'm on my way home from work. 50% of the time, there's someone there by the entrance to the freeway. My kids have had an absolute blast picking the things out for the bags, putting them together, and thinking about where we could go to find people to give them to. And they want to do more. One of them even suggested we have a couple them sleep over. How sweet! In some ways, I wish I were innocent enough to want to bring these people home with me.

So I'm sharing this to pose a question, because I'm a big believer in doing good in secret, to not let the left hand know what the right hand is doing. I want my reward to be in heaven :) but I want to ask - what are you doing for the least of these? If you're not doing anything, it's not too late! I want to encourage you! Let's get the blogworld out there doing something! :) If you have something you do on a regular basis, I want to hear about it. I want more ideas! How do you involve your children?

6 comments:

Barb said...

What a great idea! And it's wonderful to get your children involved and get them excited about giving to people so less fortunate. You've definitely made me stop and ask myself what I can do.

And now I'm headed over to Restoring the Years to read GB's post.

Thank you for a great idea, Connie.

lori said...

This is a very good idea. What a thoughtful person you are.

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!

It's wonderful for you to get yourself and your kids involved with helping others. Kudos to you!

We foster a child born on the same as my eldest through World Vision. When Chloe's old enough to understand I'll try to find another child who has a birthday close to hers. We also donate books to the school library and of course give to MADD and Daily Bread (our local food bank). One thing I'm toying with is putting some of the World Vision items on my wish lists for Christmas and my Birthday this year. You can get a list of them here.

http://www2.worldvision.ca/gifts/app

for Canada -- not sure about the US but try

http://www.worldvision.com


Again, thanks for visiting and good for you!

Hugs

Julie

Julie said...

There are things that our family does on a regular basis for the poor and homeless.

However, our favorite is Christmas. So I'll share that!

We go to the grocery store together and go ALL OUT buying groceries for the Salvation Army. It's a lot of fun to choose the goodies. Then we lug it all over there and deliver it ourselves.

We also do the Christmas Shoeboxes sponosred by Samaritan's Purse. Same scenario: go to Wal-Mart and stuff those shoe boxes full to the brim.

It's what Christmas is all about: the gift of giving.

Eagles Wings Mommy said...

Wow cool idea...I emailed it to our church - so that maybe our entire Sunday School or youth group could do this... because our church has a ministry to the homeless. Wow great idea...I think I'm gonna do this with my oldest... :-)
Blessings

Bethany said...

I'm ashamed to say, "Not much at all." Just things through the church like donating to the Thanksgiving Basket committee and participating in Operation Christmas Child. (Which is really, really cool, btw.)

I think the idea you and your kids are doing is marevelous! I'm gonna have to remember that one. I'm in a decent sized city (wouldn't call it large) but it has it's fair share of homeless.

Thanks for the tip.