Friday, October 13, 2006

A little reprieve

Today is the day of my ride-along with a police officer. I'm going on the afternoon shift, so things should hopefully be busier than in the daytime or at night. Since there were no tests today, I'm able to take a little break from trying to cram all that stuff in my head, thankfully. I'm still doing well, but the schedule for next week looks brutal. But, only one more week! One down, one to go!

At first I wasn't sure if I wanted to try to do the dispatch training. I like 911, I like talking to the people on the phone (except on weekends between may and october) I just really like my job! But now that I've decided to do this next step, I'm really excited about it. I'll still get to do 911 at least once a week, so that's good.

I have nothing but good things to say about our whole police department, about our bureau, about our supervisors, and about most of my co-workers. Those about whom I don't have nice things to say, I try not to say anything. I mostly like everybody who is in this class with me. There are 12 of us, which is a big class. Two of the people in there though, while I like them, are the most negative people I've ever met in my life. One makes it clear that she dislikes almost all of the supervisors in our bureau, she doesn't like how things are run, and she thinks most of the policies are stupid. She really does not want to be in this class. The other one just always has something to complain about it. You know, nobody is forcing them to be there... I want to say that to them, to say well you know, if you don't like it, you can leave and still have a job... I guess I'm finding it hard to be around those very loud, very outspoken negative people so much. Usually I can avoid them by where I choose to sit at work, but in this class, I can't.

So I was wondering, besides praying for them, how do you deal with negative people?

5 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Connie,

First of all, thank you for the nice comment you left on my one word meme post. If I'd known how nice everyone was going to be, I'd have done that meme sooner! :-)

Negative people. I've never worked anywhere in my life where I didn't have any of them to deal with.

My reaction to people like that is to smile and walk away. The smile confuses them. The walking away tells them you're not going there with them.

It's sad to me that anyone goes through their life with an attitude like that but I don't have to let it affect me. With 12 of you in the class and only 2 of these no-no people, I'd say they're outnumbered anyway.

Thanks again for visiting me. I was surprised to see myself in your sidebar!

Kristen said...

I really have difficulty with confrontrations. I have a negative person I work with, too and I just try to ignore her. Which is hard because she's right next to me, but that's what I try to do. And just stay positive around her. It's hard, but short of wearing earplugs....what can I do?! :-)

Connie said...

I guess that's where I'm lucky most of the time - I can choose to sit wherever I want, and normally don't sit by these certain people. On 3rd shift I can pretty much sit somewhere where there is nobody around me at all if I choose, and sometimes I do so it's quiet. Hard to hear the callers when you have a yeller sitting next to you :)

eph2810 said...

It is very hard to be around negative people, especially if you are a mostly positive person.
I know I would have a hard time not saying anything to them. But have you noticed that people are more and more negative? I know I have.
For me it was hard to get used to working in the 'real world' again after six years in a church office...
I hope you can find a way to deal with the negative people.

mouse said...

I would probably say I like to everything they say they hate and the next time they try to talk to you about their negative feelings just tell them the way you have said on your blog about what a blessing you think this job is and how much you love it and how there are so many people out there that can't find jobs. Then I would walk away.