Friday, October 20, 2006

My son, the actor

You know that feeling you get when you watch your child take his first steps? Or when you watch them pedal their two-wheeler down the sidewalk for the very first time? Or when you watch them do something you had no idea they could do? Tonight I watched my 17 year old son get up on stage, and I had no idea he could do what he did. He sang, he danced, and he acted. He was extremely good at it too. I had no idea he was interested in such a thing, and he really wasn't until last year. He took drama because he needed the elective credit, and when a bunch of people dropped out of the play, he stepped up to help when his drama teacher asked him to. But he didn't sing in last year's play. He worked very hard in this one, and it showed. He stole the show. Friends who have known him for years approached me afterward and said "did you know he could do that?!"

I'm so proud of him, words just can't express. And as he was singing and dancing and clowning around on that stage (it was a comedy) he looked so grown up. He's graduating in just 7 short months! 16 years ago, I watched him learn to walk. Now, he's learning to fly.

5 comments:

Erna said...

I think this is so awesome! What a delightful time for Mom . . . I think your words expressed very well how proud you are of him. I could just imagine you sitting there and soaking it all in. This post warmed my heart. I know the feeling when one watches their little one take their steps and I imagine the intensity of your emotions only grow after so many years with your son in your life.

Brad Whittington said...

Connie,

Sorry to hijack your "my son the actor" post (congrats, by the way)but I wanted to thank you for linking to www.stupidinternettricks.com. Also, thanks for reading the FredBooks. And hang in there, kiddo.

Brad

Brenda said...

What a great way to top off your day. As if passing your tests weren't reason enough to be proud. :o)
Congrats!

Grafted Branch said...

What a beautiful thing to write down!

As one who was constantly practicing the vulnerable art of stage performance in high school and shortly beyond, let me assure you that today, and decades from now, your son will be blessed by your interest, pride and support!

Great post.

Julie said...

Our kids are just full of surprises, aren't they? It's so great to watch them succeed.

Believe it or not...my 17-year old son is also going to be doing a sort of 'dance' to music with the rest of his youth group for part of our church's Christmas production. The group will all be wearing black...it's really cool.

Your son sounds great, I wish we could watch him sing and clown around.