Friday, November 17, 2006

Bloggy Blahs

I guess the bloggy blahs have hit me. I'm having a difficult time coming up with things that are worthy to post.

Partially because I've been so busy. Between training at work, having 4 kids at home, trying to participate in NaNoWriMo and just general everyday life, there's not been a whole lot interesting going on.

Partially because I started having a blog crisis of sorts when I read a post on a popular blog that stated something along the lines of motherhood is the art of deception. The post was about how this mother lies to her son on a regular basis and tricks him. The comments started about how funny it was, and the different lies people tell their kids all the time. And people who responded saying that they do their best not to lie to their kids were met with some harshness. I was one of those people who said they preferred not to lie to their kids, and the blog author emailed me privately and said "I'm sorry if it wasn't clear, but this was totally tongue in cheek." I understood that, but it still bothered me that a widely read blog would encourage lying to one's children. I have very vivid memories of feeling dumb when I figured out my parents were lying to me, so I don't do it to my kids. I don't ever want them to feel stupid. So many people were piping up saying "I do that too!" So... if the author was saying it tongue in cheek, and doesn't really mean that she lies to her son like that... then she's lying to her readers. So then I got to thinking, is that was blogging is about? All of these really funny posts you read, are they embellished and enhanced just so people will find them funny and keep coming back? That's not the kind of person I am, and it's not the kind of blogger I am. I want to surround myself with people who are genuine, both in life and as much as possible, on the internet. So I find myself a bit disillusioned at the moment and not as interested. I'm considering what am I trying to accomplish with this blog? What's the point? Is this the best way to accomplish what I want to? What I think God wants me to? I haven't figured out the answers to those questions yet.

So, if anyone has any words of wisdom, I'd love to hear them :)

5 comments:

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

I guess you have to figure out which blogs are best for you personally rather than which ones are most popular. Not all blogs are written with the goal to entertain and not everyone is looking to enhance their readership.

I try to be funny, I like getting comments and quite frankly I'd probbaly stop blogging if people stopped reading.. but I got my core group of ladies, ladies I know and care about and who know and care about me... mostly they are people I knew before blogging and some I even know in real life. This is a way for us to connect without having pauses or kids interrupting. Works for me.

Do I enhance a bit? Sure... but no more than I would if I were telling you the story face to face. That's just part and parcel of who I am.

Good luck with finding your place on the net... I hope you stick around :)

Kristen said...

I always try to be who I am in my blog. If I get a laugh or two, or inspire someone....great. But I won't lie and embellish for the sake of increasing my readership.

I wouldn't lie to my kids either and am surprised there are parents who think that is a wise thing to do....tongue in cheek or not.

I appreciate your blog and don't feel bad about the bloggy blahs. Seems to be going around lately.

Rebekah said...

I'm still a little new to this blogging thing. I started it to blog about the kids to my family. I found some dispatchers and other people blogging and then expanded my blog a little.
I am a what-you-see-is-what-you-get kinda person. I dont know how many readers I have but I enjoy writing so I just write.
I dont lie to my kids, I am actually very truthful with them. Instead of trying to trick them, I tell them the truth and expalin that life is about give and take. I have my rules but I pick my battles.

Erna said...

Ah, I too have been having the "bloggy blahs" lately. Life has been a bit busy too so that impacts how often I can blog. I have been thinking of the blogs I have been subscribed to and have decided to downsize my bloglines even more. I just don't have the time to keep up. I definitely appreciate real people.

Janean said...

**Tried this a couple of times and so you may have duplicates. Sorry!**

HI! Nice to meet you! Followed a link here from Erna's blog and read some of your stuff.
I enjoy your writing and wanted to comment on what you wrote here.
I write to make myself feel better...not really for anyone else's benefit. Kinda selfish, I guess. I have fun writing. And I have fun connecting with other bloggers. And meeting people like you.
As for the lying to the kids issue...Well, I let them have their fantasies (Santa, tooth fairy) and play those games with them. When they were younger, it was easier to say "All Gone" than to explain WHY the two year old couldn't have any more cookies. I'm imperfect...and at times, I will admit, I've been lazy. And there have been MANY times when I have simply not told them all the details because that information would be too much for my children to bear. Such as why their dad went away...
That's probably alot more than you ever wanted to know. :D
Stop by sometime and say hi, if you get bored.
I am impressed by you. I tried being a 911 dispatcher for about 30 days. I couldn't take it. So you are my hero! You ROCK!