Saturday, December 02, 2006

Holiday Meme

I've seen this floating around on a bunch of blogs, and since I've already done it twice for different email groups, I figured what the heck? All I have to do is copy and paste my answers and PRESTO! A blog post with very little work!! Play along if you feel like it, it's fun!

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?

Hot chocolate please. Some mint in it is nice.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?

He skips our house because we prefer to focus on the babe in the manger :)

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?

Colored please on the tree, none on the house. I'd like to decorate the outside of the house, but then never do...

4. Do you hang mistletoe?

No.

5. When do you put your decorations up?

Whenever I darn well feel like it! Usually around December 15th. This year it will be December 8th.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?

We don't have a set meal for Christmas, lately it's been fettucine alfredo. This year, since I have to work the night before and the night of, I'm thinking steaks grilled out at the park would be nice :) (See song below in previous post...)

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child:

The one that stands out the most is the look on my sisters face when she got a huge huge box that had several smaller boxes inside, and it took her forever to get to her present, which was a star sapphire ring.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?

I was about 8 and figured it out. There was a box that said "Magnavox" in my moms closet, and lo and behold, the record player from santa also came in a box that said "Magnavox." I felt tricked and deceived and stupid for believing it. I was pretty upset about it for a long time.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?

Yes.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?

Ummm, with my hands? Nothing particularly fancy, just ornaments we've collected over the years that mean something. Although I lost a lot of the hand made ones the year before last when the kids flooded the pool and then the basement... that was sad, but I'm over it. And I have since gotten a plastic tub to store my ornaments in. Duh...

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?

Detest, despise, dislike intensely, downright LOATHE entirely!

12. Can you ice skate?

You're kidding, right?

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?

It was a stocking stuffer - a red plastic donkey sitting on a black base that when you pressed it, the donkey collapsed. I don't know why I liked it so much, it was a cheap Woolworth's stocking stuffer. But my mom got it for me, and I think when she did, we were aware that she might not have many Christmases left.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?

Being with family, celebrating the Greatest Gift of All.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?

I'm easy to please, but my favorite usually contains chocolate.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?

Not having any traditions that get in the way of concentrating on what Christmas is supposed to be about.

17. What tops your tree?

A star.

18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving?

Both :)

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?

Silent Night. My mom and I would sing it together at different times throughout the year. I remember doing a jigsaw puzzle with her, singing Silent Night. And it wasn't anywhere near Christmas.

Now of course, it's the song we sing at the Candle Light service at church on Christmas Eve, and I start bawling every time. I cry for missing my mom, who died 3 days after Christmas when I was 10, and I cry for all the blessings God has given us, not the least of which is that we've made it trough another year. The song just holds a lot of meaning for me.

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum?

I can take them or leave them.

21.Do you like Christmas music?

Yes, but by 3pm on December 25th, I'm ready to not hear it again for another year. There are two Christmas songs I really can't stand though, and that's Blue Christmas (UGH like fingernails on a chalkboard! Particularly as performed by Elvis!) and Christmas Shoes. I'd hate it even if my mom didn't die three days after Christmas. It's schmaltzy and manipulative and the only purpose is to get to your emotions. But that's just me. :)

1 comment:

lori said...

I must not get out to enough blogs because I have never seen this before. It was sure nice to read all of your answers. You are a funny lady. You don't ice skate? Hee, Hee