Thursday, December 14, 2006

More Adventures in 911

Last night was my 911 night again.

Lately I've had a bunch of people calling the non emergency police number and say "Yeah, I need an ambulance." I ask "Umm, do you realize that you've called the police?" They say "Oh! Is there another number I should call?" "You might try 911..."

Last night there was one caller who made me laugh. He sounded pretty tipsy, he was reporting hearing shots fired. It went something like this:
Me: 911, what is your emergency?
Tipsy Guy: I just heard about 3 shots!
M: Ok, what's your address?
TG gives me his address
Me: Did you hear any glass breaking, any arguing, or anybody screaming?
TG: No, I didn't hear anything except it sounded like it came from across the street at the 7-11 parking lot. I hope nobody there got shot. Of course, you know they won't sell me anything anymore.
Me: Hmmm...
TG: Not bread, not milk, not cigarettes, and not even.... BEER!
(Gee, imagine that!)
Me: Wow, so, did you see any cars leaving the area?
TG: No, I was watching my TV. I didn't see anything. I was watching the news, but I hate to watch the news these days, so much bad stuff. I wish MASH was on instead.
Me: Well do you know if there is gang activity in that area?
TG: I don't know about that but one guy just about run me clean over! I was about to cross the street and he come whippin around the corner like a bat outta you know where! These people just don't watch where they're goin!
At this point I'm shaking my head. I ask him if he wants us to send officers to speak to him, get his name, which he spells in our phonetic alphabet - you know, David-Robert-Union-Nora-King, I'm not even sure how he was sober enough to do that. Then I told him "We'll let the officers know, if you see or hear anything else, or find out someone's been injured, give us a call right back, ok?"
TG: Sure thing! Ciao Baby!

BABY? HE CALLED ME BABY?! Well that's not as bad as the one time a caller told a coworker "You know what, you been sweet, but I don't like your style, so bye bye Miss American Pie!" and then hung up on her. Interesting job, this :)

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

it takes all kinds to make the world go round

eph2810 said...

I can't even imaging to work at 911 operator. I am sure that most of the time is very stressful and not kind of funny like this one...