Friday, December 29, 2006

This and that and some other stuff

First, I want to say thank you for all the kind comments about my Wordless Wednesday post about my mom. I was 10 when she passed away. It wasn't until I was an adult and had kids of my own that I realized just how much I lost when she died. My mom was one of the friendliest, most giving people I've ever known. Even when I was 10 years old at over 5 foot tall and 100 plus pounds, she used to tell me I'd never be too big to cuddle in her lap. She died of breast cancer, so as a friend of mine would say, go get those mammies grammed!

I am officially ready for the holidays to be over. New Years eve at 911 is really not a fun place and I'm dreading it. Last year, between midnight at 7 am, our center answered about 3000 calls. To compare, most nights we answer around 1000, give or take a couple hundred. The supervisors were happy that we never went over 40 calls holding at one time. If for some reason you find that you need to call 911 on new years eve, please remember not to hang up if you get the recording that says all lines are busy. Work has been interesting lately - on Wednesday we had a rash of guys calling the non emergency number asking for "Monica." Apparently, Monica gave her would-be suitors the phone number to the police instead of hers. It was kind of funny to hear them say "The POLICE??? This is the police?? Oh man! She got me!" In other work stuff, I'm kind of nervous about this dispatch training thing. For one thing, when it gets busy, I really struggle. I feel like I'm not fast enough and my brain is too old to learn to get faster. Part of it is lack of sleep due to working nights, but right now it's my only option. And on top of that, my trainer is going to a different shift so I'll be getting a different trainer. I'm just not real sure about the person my supervisor has chosen. I sat with her one night when my first trainer was sick, and she barely said anything to me. So any spare prayers would be appreciated :) I'm not going to give up yet, but man, feeling inadequate is not fun. Now I remember why I hated 911 training so much.

So, are you the New Years Resolution making kind of person? Me, not so much. If I make them, I always break them right away. But I think that's because they're really ME things. "I'm going to lose weight" "I'm going to stop smoking" "I'm going to..." kinds of things. But I do have a hope for the new year. Within this past year I think I've finally come to understand what it means to trust and obey God, and that obedience is a form of worship. Took me long enough! But in this new year, I want to be able to trust and obey even more. Because it really is a cycle - when you trust you obey, and when you obey God, you find out you can trust Him. I'm finding that it really does lead to God's best for us. That's where I want to be.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Good grief. You must answer the phone in your sleep after all of those calls!

Your post made me think of part of a Newsboys song, which is actually part of an old hymn..."Trust and obey...there is no other way..."

Just wanted to stop by and wish you a Happy and Blessed New Year!

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

I was thinking of you last night.. hope it wasn't too bad!

Hugs

Julie

Susie said...

Happy New Year! I can't imagine what you probably hear on your late night calls. I loved reading about your hope for the new year. Great Post!

Erna said...

I really appreciated your closing thoughts about obedience. Obeying God has been a big message in all of my studies this past year. It all started with the verse about obedience being better than sacrifice. I pray that God will bless you in your endeavours to obey Him as you follow Him.

(I had to chuckle about Monica . . . maybe she made the wisest decision. LOL!)