Monday, January 01, 2007

I survived New Years Eve 2006!

Happy New Year!

Yes, it was a rough night at work last night. Overall things were a little smoother than last year, but it was still extremely busy. The thing that made it slightly more tolerable for me was that I only had to answer the 911 line and not the non-emergency police number too, so I didn't have to deal with the noise complaints and the more routine stuff. The bad thing was that I got cussed out so many times last night it's not even funny.

Between being verbally abused for basically following the instructions I was given by my superiors, and dealing with people who were out there making horrible choices in the name of celebrating, I left work pretty discouraged. It's pretty frustrating to have someone tell you they are with someone who has been shot, but both the caller and the victim are so drunk, they couldn't possibly tell you where they are. How are we supposed to help people if we can't find them? And then they start screaming at us when we don't know exactly where "right here" is! I think there were 2 or 3 calls during the shift where I felt like I was actually helping someone.

I think I'll try to be on vacation next new year's eve... or perhaps I'll be sick... yeah, a good virus, or perhaps a migraine. Oh well, maybe by then I will have forgotten the trauma of this new year's eve. I have 364 days to recover :)

4 comments:

Julie said...

You sure have to be thick-skinned in your line of work. I'm sure it's difficult not to take things personally.

But, you'd be bored stiff working in a library. No dull moments for you, girl. :)

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

Bless you for doing it. If you weren't there those few who truly needed your help wouldn't have gotten it and the even the ijits who didn't deserve it wouldn't have gotten it as quickly. I still remember the chaos in the emergency room on NYE when I had to go in 10 years old with a broken ankle from skating.. I bless you and all emergency workers who work that night. I also remember the fun from my days at the Distress Centre on NYE.. it's hard work.. but the world is a much better place for people like you. Thank you.

Rebekah said...

The last New Year's Eve I worked wa Y2K. It was a big let down. But a good thing the world didn't crash like everyone thought.
Happy New Year

Grafted Branch said...

What a ministry you have in that job! I'm sure you must cover those hours in fervent prayer. Trust the Lord to accomplish His will in the lives of others -- you just make yourself available and do your best. That is God's will, don't you think?

God bless you.