Thursday, January 25, 2007

Proud moment

The drugs are kicking in, which is a good news - bad news kind of thing. Apparently I also had a nasty sinus infection because ewww, and that's all I will say. And now I'm coughing more trying to get rid of the stuff in my lungs and ouch, it hurts to cough.

So in my bronchitis induced fog, I've been kind of, ummm, hands off with the kids. They pretty much know what they need to do, but I haven't been making sure that they're doing it. So yesterday, DQ didn't clean the kitchen like she was supposed to. I went to bed. I got up this morning, and saw the mess in the kitchen and asked her why she didn't do what she was supposed to. She said "Oh, I just got lazy." Of course, I grounded her from the computer and from video games (my sister just got the kids a Wii for Christmas, so that's what she was doing instead of what she should have been doing) but inside, I was SO proud! For probably the first time ever, she didn't offer a lame excuse - "I forgot!" (like that's a good reason, why do kids expect that to get them out of trouble?!) "I was tired!" "My foot hurt!" It's mainly been since she became a teenager that she does that, and I've been telling her not to make excuses, just own up to the real reason. Ahhh, she learned something, finally! :D So I only grounded her for 3 days instead of 7 :P

3 comments:

Grafted Branch said...

Good job! You...and her...I think?

Get well.

Rebekah said...

The two answers I hate the most:
I dont know and I forgot
Glad you are starting to get over the ickies

Janean said...

TOO funny! Isn't it funny how, as we get older, some stuff with the kids doesn't matter so much? Like Yah, you were a little irritated that she didn't do it, but proud that she owned up to it! I can TOTALLY relate.
That "I forgot" thing drives me nuts, too. And my other favorite..."I don't know!" Wish I could do the voice inflections with it, cuz it's really lame!
I had a moment like this the other day when the boy said a cuss word and I hollered at him. He says, "sorry, Mom, I was mad." THen he flashes me this big toothy grin and you can't help but smile back. So we had a discussion about how to deal with anger, but it was good that he at least ACKNOWLEDGED what he'd done, you know?
SOOOO GLAD yer feelin' better!! Weehaw!