Friday, January 19, 2007

The Shower and the Wagon

~ Or: I hate plumbing and plumbing hates me! ~

Although I suppose that not having plumbing isn't all that and a bag of chips, because I DO have memories of having to use an outhouse at my relatives house in West Virginia when I was very little. Not pleasant at all. But darnit, they can put a man on the moon, why can't they make plumbing fixtures that don't wear out? Oh because then I wouldn't get to spend time and money at that huge mega home improvement store. And spend a lovely day alternately praying about and cursing at my shower fixtures :P I'm a marginally intelligent person, at least, when I've gotten a decent amount of sleep, and I've replaced the stems and handles on bathtubs/showers before. I even own my own seat wrench! (Are you impressed yet? I didn't think so...) So I don't know what it was about these particular bathroom fixures, but they were stubborn. It was definitely of an urgent nature - the main bathroom had gotten so bad, we couldn't turn off the water anymore. And as I was finishing up my shower the other day in the master bathroom, the hot water handle completely broke off. So I figured I can do this! I have to do this! I don't need to depend on anybody else, I can fix this myself! Yeah, I spent half the day trying to get the stinking handles off and they wouldn't budge!

So as I went down the list of people I really didn't want to bother, I was reminded of an incident that happened shortly after my ex-husband was arrested. I was going on a field trip with my youngest child's preschool class, it was a walking trip to the park. The way to the park is interesting, it's it's a straight shot down one street, but part of it looks like a normal older suburban neighborhood, and part of it looks like farmland. Seriously, you go from suburban neighborhood to passing horses and goats and sheep and then back into suburban neighborhood in less than a mile. Phoenix is weird like that. Anyway, we went on a walk to the park. We had a wagon which the children were taking turns pulling in pairs. Not my son. My son insisted upon pulling the wagon himself. It was kind of heavy, but not too bad. But then as we were walking past this one house, the owner came out and said he had some oranges from his tree that he had to get rid of, did we want them. The kids all wanted oranges, so we said yes. The man brought out 3 very large bags full of oranges. HUGE even. So we said thank you and put them in the wagon. My son still refused help pulling the wagon, even with the extra weight of the oranges. He was really struggling, and we were at the part of the road where there's not really a sidewalk there, just really a dirt path. So not only was the wagon heavy, he was trying to pull it over uneaven, bumpy terrain. I told him "It's ok to need help buddy, you don't have to pull the wagon yourself!" And it hit me right between the eyes - I'd been trying to pull my own wagon, and it was way too heavy for me. God puts people around us to help us pull our wagons, but we have to let them. I thought it was a lesson I learned a long time ago, but somewhere along the way, I started hogging the wagon again. Not wanting to need help from anybody. Why do I keep acting like that? Pride I suppose...

So I called my friends and one of them came over and took everything apart for me. All I had to do was go to the store, get the parts, and put it all back together. Now I am happy to report - No drips, no leaks! And I did put it all back together myself. But I'm so thankful that I do have friends who are willing to help.

Of course, I did have 4 teenagers in the house (2 mine, 2 borrowed) who all had to *ahem* use the facilities as soon as the water was turned off!

2 comments:

Janean said...

TOTally understand! But you probably knew I would. :D
I've gotten to be halfway decent at elecrical stuff. Installed a porch light and changed the plug on the dryer all by myself. Now If I could just learn how to change my own oil...

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

that's such an amazing lesson.. I'm totally going to remember that the next time I'm feeling too stubborn to ask for help!