Monday, February 26, 2007

In way over my head

So, Snugglebutt, the newly turned 7 year old, some days I feel like I am not competent enough to be his parent, let alone his only parent.

We made a quick run to the grocery store after school, and as the cashier was placing the items in the bag, Snugglebutt was taking the bags off the carousel thingy and putting them in the cart. Then when we got to the car, without being asked, as soon as I opened the trunk, he began to get the bags out of the cart and load them up in the car. When we got into the car I said to him "You know I'm pretty proud of you right now." He said "Because I helped? You know why I did that, don't you?" When I asked him why, he said "I did it for approval."

!!! Ok, how does a 7 year old think to respond like that? He's SO smart! But, man! Don't I already give him approval? I try to anyway! Maybe he needs more than I give. This mom thing just never is easy.

Of course, then he tried to tell me he said he did it for a poodle...

6 comments:

Rebekah said...

We probably wont have this parenting thing down until we are grandparents.... but our kids probably wont want us to butt in with our years of exp. :)

Susie said...

That is so cute- first approval then poodle. I think you need to give yourself a pat on the back, he sounds precious. I have my own 7 year old here, and I always feel like I need a little extra help.

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

WOW.. that is one bright 7 year old. Love the poodle joke ;)

Sista Cala said...

sounds a bit like the tv show I saw part of tonight. Are you smarter than a 5th grader? I didn't see much of it, but the basic idea was to pit adults against 5th graders. It is amazing how much more they know at younger ages than the previous generation.

They are not as some say, 'the church of tomorrow'. They are the church of today. We have to get them when they are young and harness all those smarts for God.

aka_Meritt said...

DANG! What kind of shows is this kid watching????

Connie said...

He does not watch any TV. We don't have cable, and therefore, we get no reception at all. I like it that way, and the kids dont mind it either :)