Monday, March 05, 2007

Dear 1987 Me,

Dear Me in 1987,
Not that I think you'll listen, but I have some things to say.

First is, you are NOT fat. But, if you keep up with those mint swirl brownies, you will be. Take it from one who knows.

Even though you were a teenage mother and already have a child, that does NOT mean you've screwed up your life beyond repair. I know part of you thinks that, but it's not true.

It's also not true that you need someone to take care of you. Have confidence in yourself! You are stronger than you know!

It is true that God loves you. I know you know it deep down, but you don't act like it. Your value is in Him, not the rest of the world. You are worth so much more than you know.

Don't ever settle. Later this year, you will meet a man named Ron. RUN THE OTHER WAY! You have this messed up idea that love is something you decide to do, not something that just happens. To a point this is true, but if the attraction is not there in the first place, it won't happen later on! You can't force yourself to love someone.

And when Dan comes back into your life? Yeah, run even faster! Don't even give that boy the time of day.

I know you love being a mom, and it really was a great feeling when you figured out that you are good at it, however, you are valuable even when you aren't taking care of a baby. And as wonderful as babies are, they don't stay babies. Teenagers take more time and energy than one can imagine, and their needs are greater than you know. I'm not talking monetary needs. Consider this please before you give in to that ache in your uterus!

In 11 years when you get an email from a man in Arizona, I have 3 words for you:
DELETE
DELETE
DELETE

Now that we have that out of the way, I'm so glad you figured out that leg warmers are not cool. And Air Supply. What were you thinking? In a few years, stirrup pants will be all the rage. Please avoid them. They WILL make your butt look big.

Love always,
2007 Me

Link: Miscellaneous Adventures of an Aussie Mum: The "Dear Me" Project

7 comments:

aka_Meritt said...

What an absolute wonderful idea.

That was interesting to read and of course I started to think of what I would tell myself... thanks for the insight and thanks for the idea I'm off to the link to check it out!

Erna said...

How great it would be to receive a letter from an older, wiser "me." :0) It reminds me of Back to the Future right now. Okay, I'm kind of tired. Off to bed I go. :0)

Brenda said...

I am so going to do this one. My birthday is Friday, so I'm waiting until then to post it. Love yours!

Janean said...

Aaaaahh! TOo Funny! Don't you wish it actually worked?
Especially the stirrup pants thing!

Rebekah said...

That was good, I loved it

Grafted Branch said...

I think I'm going to have to snatch this idea from you too, Connie! It was great fun to read, and I think that it might just be what I need to get over my "writer's block." :)

~Jennifer said...

LOL! I loved that last paragraph. I wrote a letter like this quite sometime ago, it didn't even occur to me to warn myself away from some of my fashion *don'ts* like stirrup pats with pumps. Eek!

I read your story about that horrible knock at your door three years ago, too. I just wanted to reach out and give you a big hug! I think every mother can imagine to some extent how horrible it would be to find out what you did. I'm so sorry you had to find out what that really feels like.