Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Someone sing me a lullabye?


Because I should be sleeping right now, and it's just not happening. When I was sleeping, I kept waking up having strange dreams. This sleeping during the day stuff is just not normal, I've been doing it over 2 years now, and I still don't have the hang of it! Most days I'd be able to have the big kids feed the little kids dinner and sleep after I picked them up from school (although I HATE doing that, I feel like I'm robbing my children, however, humans need sleep! And I am, in fact, a human!) but today that's not going to be possible. The big kids are in a play this weekend, and their rehearsal goes until about 7 tonight. So at the most I'll be able to get a 2 hour nap in. That's IF I can fall asleep. Oh well, the good news is it's my Friday, and with any luck I'll be off Thursday and Friday night. And I've got a 4 day weekend in a couple weeks, so I'm really looking forward to that!

You know it's kind of sad, the thing I look forward to most these days is when I can sleep next...

Anyway, I thought I should mention, I made a decision regarding dispatch (radio) training. At the beginning of February I was really struggling and decided that I was going to give myself a month, and if I was still not getting it well, then I was going to go back to being a 911 call taker only. Then I started getting it, and it started clicking. Except for one thing. I discovered I really didn't like it. I'd dread coming to work, and not because I was feeling inadequate or frustrated with training, but because I was just dreading the job itself. I waffled for a week or two, but one day I sat down at the terminal, and the first time an officer cleared over the air I thought "I really don't want to do this!" I was sure at that moment that dispatch isn't for me. At least not right now. It's not that I think I can't do it, I know I can. It comes down to, I don't want to. So, yes, I stopped dispatch training and went back to 911. It's been 3 days now. I thought I would kind of regret quitting, but you know what, I really don't. There's a huge peace about this decision. I notice though that I do things differently in 911 now that I have a better understanding of dispatch, and I'm glad I at least tried dispatch training. I do think it has made me a better 911 operator. So I'm thankful, because I'm pretty sure when God gave me this job, he wanted me to make a difference to people. When need help and dial that phone, and my voice is the first one they hear, well, I am honored to be the one who is able to help them.

Ok... most of them :P

3 comments:

Janean said...

Maybe you'll be able to rest better now that you don't have to dread the dispatching.
We can hope anyway...:D

Erna said...

I'm glad you're doing what you desire. It's so important that we like our jobs. However, it's great to hear that it has enhanced your ability to do your job.

From one who has called 911 several times . . . I thank you for the job you do. I know the dispatchers help and although we never really have a chance to thank them, I thank you on behalf of all you have helped.

I love the comic you shared. I hope you could get some ZZZzzz's. Blessings to you today Connie!

Anonymous said...

Nothing wrong with going back to 911....you need to work in the job that is right for you. You should be proud of the fact that you realized that and went back to what you love right now....and if you ever change your mind you know you can do it, after all you where succeeding just not likeing it.

Liana