Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Comic relief at work

Obviously, working at 911 can at times be stressful. There are times though when it can be downright funny.

Since I'm no longer in dispatch and back in 911 full time, and I've been there two and half years, they figure I know what I'm doing well enough to help train new people, so that's what I'm doing. I have a trainee, I'll call him J, and he's doing very well. He's got excellent customer service skills, a great phone manner, and he's a quick learner. Makes my job a lot easier. So he's been at this a little over a month now, and has heard some off the wall things, as all of us have. He's learned that people will call and report some really strange things, and most of the time if they call the police, they believe what it is they are telling you. So the lady that thought her couch was breathing really did believe that, and the gentleman who thought people were camoflaging themselves to blend in with the walls really believed that too. We cannot get on the phone and say "So, what have you smoked today?" or "Did you remember to take your psych meds?" We have to treat them with the same respect that we give to calls we know are legitimate. And when you think that these people do believe that their couch is breathing, it's kind of sad to know that some people live in a constant state of terror, how horrible that must be. But sometimes when they are telling you their story, you can't help but mute the mike and laugh.

So J had one of these calls yesterday morning. I listen to all of his calls, and when necessary I interrupt or take over, but for the most part, he handles everything alone. He had to ask this particular caller to repeat herself, because he thought she said that her neighbor killed her pet dinosaur. When she said it again, we both kind of looked at each other and snickered. I know I would have had a hard time not laughing on the phone, and J did too, but he held it together very well. But going with what I stated above, he knew he had to treat her like she wasn't a nutcase. So he starts with the standard questions we ask on every call - When did that happen? She said the day before. Oh good, so we don't have to send officers on an emergency dinosaur murder call, it's just a report. Was anybody else hurt? No, just the dinosaur. Does she know who killed it? Yes, it was her next door neighbor, they've been having problems for a long time. Ok, what's the address? "Oh, you know, I'll call back later!" *click*

Why people prank call the police, I will NEVER know.

And then early this morning, we had a security guard at a bank property call in a suspicious vehicle parked by the ATM. J did an excellent job at getting the needed information, as always, and put the call in. As he was hanging up with the security guard, he said "Ok, we'll have officers out there as soon as possible, if anything changes before they get there, give us a call back." The security guard responded "Ok, thanks so much! Love you, Bye!" And they didn't even hold hands first!

5 comments:

Jessica said...

I couldn't do your job, I would be laughing way too much at times!

3carnations said...

That "Love you, bye" is such a habit when I leave a message on hubby's voicemail...I sometimes worry that I will leave it on a business voicemail. Luckily it hasn't happened...

(((((HUGS))))) sandi said...

Just saying HI! I came from Marcy's blog! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

(((((HUGS))))) sandi said...

HA HA HA! That last comment was me with too many windows open~so it's on the wrong blog! LOL! I'm a NuT! I did wanna say HI though, and that I'm enjoyin' yer blog! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Janean said...

TOO funny! Emergency Dinosaur murder call. Hee hee!

Hey, forgot to say, I tagged you for a meme if you have time.
You are always in my thoughts and prayers.