Thursday, June 14, 2007

Disappointing trip


But we still had fun, and it may have been that time off that I needed. The plan was to stay with my sister in the resort where her company was hosting some sort of function. Only she didn't realize how strict the company's no family policy was, and she didn't realize that her company booked the ENTIRE resort for the week. That meant there would be absolutely no children there. At all. So instead I got a room at a hotel, and we figured we'd spend Wednesday together, because my sister was supposed to have that day off. When I spoke to her Wednesday morning, the plans had changed because her boss changed the schedule and she would have something to do between 1 and 5. Ok, so we'd spend the morning together, and then have dinner and spend some time in the evening together. I picked her up from her hotel, and she had some errands to run. We stopped at a store and bought snacks for later, and she bought both of my kids a ball. We spent about an hour and a half together and thinking that we'd see each other later, I didn't take any pictures. After I took her back to her hotel, I took my kids swimming in the pool at our hotel. Then my sister called and said they changed the schedule again, and there was a function she was required to attend at 7. So dinner wasn't happening either. She didn't get back to her room until after 11. So I was pretty bummed that I didn't get to spend more time with my sister. I hadn't seen her since July of 2004, and now I'm not sure when I'll get to see her again. The kids and I drove around Tucson for a while and then went to eat, and more swimming, and more bed Jumping. I think my kids' favorite part of the trip was the fact that the hotel actually had cable TV, which we don't. Without cable, we don't get good reception, so we don't really have TV. They would have been content to sit and watch Disney Channel all day, everyday. This has reinforced my desire to not ever have cable again :) (It started because I couldn't afford to pay for it - now it's a conscious decision to not have cable tv.) Today before we left, we stopped by San Xavier Del Bac Mission. I'm not Catholic, but I can certainly appreciate the beauty of this building and the history behind it. When it was built, Arizona was still part of Mexico!

But we did have fun, got away from home for a couple days, I just wish I got to see my sister more. Now we're home, and I still have a couple days off. Which is very good, because the appraisal for my house is Monday. I guess that means *gulp* I actually have to clean it.

3 comments:

aka_Meritt said...

I'm sorry you didn't get more time with your sister - it sucks they changed the schedules at the last minute, but I wonder if they already had the schedule down and she just didn't know about it? Because my husband does these company things all the time and they do tend to keep them pretty tightly scheduled like that.

Maybe you can convince her to come back NOT on company time! :)

Grafted Branch @ Restoring the Years said...

Oh! That's the pits that the schedule got changed so often.

*crickets chirping*

I'm trying to think of something happy-clappy to say, but I can't. Because the lost opportunity is just the pits. I'm sorry. :(

Erna said...

I'm sorry the visit didn't work out like you planned but I'm glad there were still some things to enjoy.

(Catching up today on everything . . . ah, cleaning house for an appraisal. That's a whole other arena, isn't it?)