Friday, July 13, 2007

Cakes and other stuff

When it was Sam's birthday a couple weeks ago, Sassy was at camp, and DQ was in Ohio. Today DQ came home so everybody is back together again, and here is his cake - quite possibly the ugliest cake I've ever made. The background frosting was supposed to be brown, but not chocolate. Didn't work out that way. But it made Sam happy, so that's all that matters (and it's not like he really knew the difference, he's color blind!) And yeah, it tasted good!

Speaking of cakes, I made a really yummy one on the 4th of July - strawberries and vanilla pudding in the middle, frosted with whipped cream and topped with strawberries. My friends who invited us over were impressed :)



Other stuff - DQ is back from Ohio, like I mentioned. I picked her up at the airport this morning. She's been gone since June 3rd. DQ's return can only mean one thing - the imminent return of... [cue horror music] SCHOOL!!!!! It starts back up July 31st for my kids. It sure was noisy in my house today. We've had a pretty decent routine going these past few weeks, but that's all about to change. DQ has play practice starting Monday, and now we've got school shopping to do. I loathe and love school uniforms all at the same time. I think we're going to try to get in one last hurrah before they go back to school - perhaps one of the local resorts that has awesome summer deals (because it IS 110+ these days, not many people want to come to Phoenix these days) and a water park, or maybe just a day at a water park.

Work hasn't been too crazy, but crazy enough. We're still at police headquarters, which was supposed to be for only 3 weeks. It's already been 2 months. But they have to make sure everything works the way it's supposed to all the time, or it puts people in danger. The trainee I was working with in May is all finished with training and on his own, and at the end of August I'll be getting a new trainee. I'm excited about that, I really enjoy training :)

One thing I've discovered though is it's easier to teach people 911 than it is to teach my 18 year old son to drive. I have a few more gray hairs, and we're not done yet.

1 comment:

Grafted Branch @ Restoring the Years said...

We used to take advantage of the great rates! We spent a weekend at La Ventana, and ate the brunch at La Paloma. Yum.

(And back then it was $45/night.)