Monday, July 02, 2007

Happy Birthday T3h Sam!



So, time sure does fly when you're having fun. Tomorrow (7/3) my oldest son will be 18! Eighteen!

His birth was kind of dramatic in that it was very fast. My doctor compared it to being in a car without brakes going down a very steep hill, and that's a pretty good description. The other thing was that a week before his birth, a radiologist at an ultrasound told me he weighed 11 lbs, and he was still two weeks early at that point. He ended up being "only" 9 lbs, 1 oz, thank goodness for that.

Maybe I have selective amnesia, but I don't remember ever having much of a problem with Sam. Ok, he didn't always do as well in school as he could have, and he got in trouble once or three times in class, but he graduated from high school with honors... he was frequently mean to his younger sister DQ, but that was not usually in my presence and the two are very close now. Ok, there was the time he shot Sassy in the butt with an airsoft gun, but I think that was an accident. Mostly. And there was his fascination with petroleum jelly... you know Dawn Dish Detergent gets that stuff out of hair pretty well? Yeah. Not once, not twice, but 3 times. The child was like a ninja or something climbing and slinking his way around undetected to find the vaseline. I won't mention the gum in the eyelashes bit, but that sure was interesting. For the most part, Sam has lived his life being helpful, even if not always obedient. When he was 7 and I was pregnant with Sassy, our dog got sick on the living room rug. We had come in from being out and discovered it when we got home. Sam took one look at the mess and said "I'll clean it up for you Mom, I know it will make you sick." And he did.

He's grown into a fine young man, and I think it's mostly in spite of me and not because of. I am so proud of him.

5 comments:

Grafted Branch @ Restoring the Years said...

Happy Birthday Sam! You're a good boy in my book to take the initiative, care about your pregnant mom and clean up the dog vomit. *big smile*

aka_Meritt said...

First borns seem to be fairly easy I think. They seem to have an inborn sense of responsiblity, law and order and rules. They have their moments, but I tend to like first borns.

(I'm a first born... hee hee).

Connie said...

He's the 2nd born :) I have a 22 year old daughter :)

Lori said...

Happy Birthday Sam!

Rebekah said...

Happy birthday Sam