Thursday, August 16, 2007

From the weird 911 call file

The other morning, a security guard at a construction site called to report that a man who seemed very drunk had arrived in a pick up truck, gotten out of his vehicle and was looking into other vehicles in the area. The security guard thought that perhaps the pick up was stolen and the guy was looking to steal another set of wheels. The operator who took that call (It was not me) ran the plate number of the pick up, and upon finding that it had not been reported stolen, put in a suspicious person in a vehicle call. The man that arrived in that pick up had wandered off before the officers got there. A few hours later, I had a call from a gentleman who wanted to report his truck stolen. I asked the usual questions - where was it stolen, how long ago, and do you have your keys? He gave me his address and then said that he wasn't sure where it was stolen, because he was pretty sure he'd been kidnapped and they took his truck and his keys. But he wasn't totally sure, so I asked him what exactly happened. He said he'd taken sleeping pills the night before to go to sleep, and when he woke up, he was in a field 5 or 6 miles from his house and he had to walk home. When he got home, he realized his truck was missing. So he wasn't sure if the kidnappers knocked him out and drove him to the field in his own truck or what. So I took the information on his truck, and told him I'd send out officers. A little while later I checked on the call. Yes, my caller was the suspicious person from the earlier call. His truck wasn't stolen, he'd driven it to this construction site and left it there with the keys in it! He had absolutely no recollection of driving anywhere. DQ sleepwalks sometimes and that can be pretty funny, but, sleep driving?! Scary!

It's monsoon season here, and so there have been some thunderstorms on and off for the past few weeks. When I lived in Ohio, the snow made people a little crazy, and here, the rain has the same affect. Monday night/Tuesday morning we had a pretty good rain. I was at work the whole time so I didn't see any of it, the only way I know it rained was because we were slammed with alarm calls (storms make burglar alarms go off) and my car was covered in dirt when I left to go home. A couple hours before it was time to go though, I took a call from a lady who was very frightened, reporting that several large wild dogs had gotten into her back yard. Our huge police department has a policy of not responding to animal calls at all unless the animal is attacking someone right now, so I referred her to animal control. She said she tried them, and the office was closed (it was a little before 6am.) She said the dogs weren't being aggressive, they were just there, and there were a lot, like more than 6 of them. She was concerned because she hadn't been able to find her cat, thinking they may have killed it. I know I wouldn't want a bunch of strange dogs in my yard, that would freak me out a little bit, so I didn't feel right telling her to keep trying animal control. Plus, she said that she had a gun and if any of them got aggressive she would shoot it. So I called the PD only number for animal control, where we can reach an animal control officer if there is a true emergency, and I explained the situation to her. At least 6 large dogs in this lady's back yard, don't know how they got in, not being aggressive, thinks they killed her cat. She said that she could send someone at 6 when the office opened. So I called the lady back to tell her that. She said "well, you know, ummm, I had my neighbor go back there with me, and... well... you know how it rained last night?" I'm thinking "what does rain have to do with a pack of dogs?" "They actually aren't dogs, they're ummm, piles of dirt and mud from the rain..." Piles of dirt. Not even one dog. We went from 6 wild dogs to mud. "I could have sworn they were moving!!" she said. I felt like an idiot calling animal control back to tell them they could disregard, that the dogs were just big piles of mud. You'd think at this point I'd learn not to believe everything I hear!




Powered by ScribeFire.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow, that was a weird call! Poor guy :)

Rebekah said...

lol, that is too funny. One time at camp I thought a snake was in my duffle bag because I heard something hissing. Well, it was not a snake. It was my aresol deoderant can shoved up against my shoes

Susie said...

These are so funny! You definitely have a job that is full of the unexpected.

Erna said...

First one is kind of scary. The second, piles of mud . . . I'm sure that lady will not live that one down.