Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A "just in case you didn't know" thing

Because I didn't know before I started working for 911, and a lot of people don't seem to know this but...
As long as it has battery power, any cell phone can dial 911, even those without service. So when you get your new phone and give the old one to the kids to play with, it's a really good idea to take the battery out. It does take away the fun of the beeps and lights when you push the buttons, but it also keeps little ones from inadvertently dialing 911 and tying up lines that could be needed in emergency situations. I had one of these calls just the other night (why the kid was up at 3am, I couldn't tell you, but that's not the point...) and I was lucky enough to get the kid to give the phone to his/her dad (usually they just babble in my ear.) He was shocked to hear "This is 911" on the other end of the phone!



Powered by ScribeFire.

2 comments:

Grafted Branch @ Restoring the Years said...

You. are. KIDDING. ME!

I had no idea. All my old batteries are dead, dead, dead. Good thing too, because my youngest...well...I don't put anything past her. ;)

Erna said...

How interesting. I'm tempted to try an old cell phone to see if it'll work but I'm sure the operators wouldn't appreciate that. Although, it would beat paying a fee to have phone service when you only want it for emergencies. Hmmm . . .