Sunday, October 07, 2007

Church quandry revisited

Last November, I posted about church, and how I was in a dilemma whether or not to find a different church. Almost a year has passed and not a whole lot has changed really. I've just basically been coasting along, because to be honest, I don't get to church often. Working nights and being off Thursday and Friday nights makes it really really hard stay awake after working all night Saturday night after sleeping Friday night. I've cut down how much I work in the church nursery and now only work once a month. It's also really hard to get there because even if I do stay awake at church, then I have to sleep the rest of the day to go to work Sunday night. So I'm not with my kids during church, they're off in their own classes, and then I don't get to see them the rest of the day because I'm sleeping. It becomes a choice - church, or time with my kids. Which would you choose? Because of my schedule, I haven't put much effort into finding a new church. But being on vacation, last week I did visit a new one, and I fell in love. It was spiritually refreshing and I really want to go back. Today though, was my week to work in the nursery, so we went to the old church. My two younger kids really want to stay at the old church, and one of them told me he "hated" being at the new church. I'm sure it's because he doesn't know anybody, but he also is very resistant to giving it a chance. I felt so torn today. First I dropped off the kids in their classes and found that my 7 year old isn't even on the roster anymore, at this church we've been at since before he was born! because we haven't been there in a month. He had to sign in as a visitor. That kind of broke my heart. But still, he knows people, and he's comfortable there. Then after I worked in the nursery, I went to my adult enrichment class(Sunday school) and it was like I haven't been away (because even when I make it there to work in the nursery, I rarely make it to class, I'm just too tired.) So even after a year, I'm still waffling about what to do about churches, somehow I think that's not a good thing.


Powered by ScribeFire.

7 comments:

Debbie C. said...

Well, I read your post from last year about how you were feeling about your church. I think you need to ask the Lord to be really specific with you about what He wants you to do. He will show you if He wants you to leave. Sometimes, He may bring a confirmation from someone else or some random song or something, but you will know one way or another. It seems to be affecting your desire to go to church and to take your children. It's an important decision. I will be praying for the Lord's direction and wisdom for you. But, I totally understand if you work nights, how you would want to spend time with your children instead of going to church and everyone being separated. Why not read a Proverb together before you all start your day at home? There are 31 Proverbs - one for each day of the month. It's a book full of wisdom. I'll be praying, God bless you as you endeavor to raise and provide for your children.

aka_Meritt said...

The fact that you had to sign in as a visitor spoke loudly to me.

teri said...

http://objflicks.com/arizona.htm

this has alot of sights in Az very cool I'm in phx

Rebekah said...

That is sad that they took his name off. I don't think some people realize that we are a 24/7 world and if you have never had to work nights or weekends, you will never understand how hard it is to feel normal.
My church started a Sat night sevice but it is cancelled due to lack of attendance. I hate not being able to take my kds to church every week.
I hope you find somewhere that makes you feel welcome

Janean said...

I totally understand! We've been trying a new church for about the last three months and most of the time I just want to give up and go back to where my friends are. It's hard on the kids. They don't understand and everyone fights going. Mom ends up being the "bad guy" for FORCING everyone to church. Sheesh. That's no fun!
You are brave to work in the nursery. NOT ME! Eeek!

Ann said...

It's hard--I knew we were supposed to leave our old church almost 2 years before we found our new church. It would break my heart if my child was removed from the roster after only a month! I teach Sunday School and we still pray for and consider kids "ours" who haven't been there for longer than that, especially when we know they've been on vacation. It's hard to do, but keep seeking God and where he wants you to go...

Erna said...

I understand the difficulty with shift work and church attendance. Most months we are able to go at least twice per month, if we don't have a holiday trip planned. I trust the Lord will direct you. Keep leaning on Him. :0)