Thursday, October 04, 2007

More pictures

Here are some of the best pictures from yesterday. On Tuesday night despite being dead tired from walking all over northern Arizona, none of us slept very well, so we didn't have as much gumption to go sight-seeing before we left Flagstaff as we thought we'd have. On top of that, when we got up, Snugglebutt (the 7 year old) wasn't feeling well. He was complaining that his stomach hurt. It got the point where he was in tears after breakfast (which he didn't eat much of.) I had a sneaking suspicion that it was because he needed to go to the bathroom. The girls wanted to stop at Target before we left, so we went there and I made the child at least try to do his business. Well it worked, he felt better, and all was good with the world. We decided to save the Lowell Observatory for our next trip, and went to the Riordan Mansion. It's really just an enormous duplex - two brothers who were very successful in the logging business had houses built in 1904 that were connected by one big room that they called the ball room. It definitely is worth seeing. I was very impressed with how interested my 7 year old boy was with hearing about the mansion, the architecture, and story of these people's lives. Unfortunately we weren't allowed to take pictures throughout most of the house. After the mansion, we started heading back to phx, but decided to take the scenic route. And let me tell you, it was breath taking. If I had my way, I would have stopped every 100 yards to take pictures. It was so beautiful. Instead of taking the interstate, we took AZ-89A. Not far out of Flagstaff, there was a scenic overlook area, so we decided to stop. There just happened to be an Indian arts fair there, so we enjoyed looking at all the different tables with the bead work, pottery and jewelry. After that we made our way down the mountain on windy roads. Words can't even come close to describing the scenery down that mountain road. I spent the whole way down praising God for the beauty of His creation. For me, it's easy to feel close to God on a mountain covered in pine trees. Everything else just melts away... The road lead us through Sedona, which is my favorite place in the whole wide world. If I could choose to live anywhere, right now it would be a toss-up between right next to the beach in San Diego and Sedona. If you ever get the chance to go there, GO. Don't hesitate, JUST GO. The sunset pictures were taken at a rest stop not all that far out of Phoenix. It's the only rest stop I've come across with a real name - Sunset Point, appropriately named I'd say. So now we're back to real life, but thankfully still on vacation!

2 comments:

Grafted Branch @ Restoring the Years said...

I can't decide if these posts whet my appetite for a vacation to my home state...or leave me to feel like I've already been. ;)

Wonderful, wonderful pictures, Connie! A trip to remember for you all.

Debbie C. said...

Incredible pictures. So glad you are enjoying yourselves and getting some time just to "chill". Thanks for sharing. Blessings to you all!!