Friday, October 26, 2007

What's it worth to you?

I dunno that this is going to make much sense. It's 2:10am, early Friday morning. I'm awake because I'm usually awake at this time. Yes, it's a night off, but I have to work tomorrow night (overtime, yay!) so it's kind of pointless to mess everything up by sleeping tonight, don't you think? So what to do at 2:10am when everybody else in the house is sleeping? Well, not everybody else. The cats are being totally obnoxious, as cats are wont to do at 2am. This little one (the gray and white one of whom I'm not terribly fond) is skating on thin ice at the moment, and if she knocks anything else down, she may lose one of her nine lives.

But anyway, what to do? Why, what any normal person would do of course - blog! I've had several posts swirling around this little brain of mine for some time now, but they aren't quite sure how to come out yet. It would be boring to tell you about how things are going, because it's really SOSDD, which is not a bad thing (that's same old stuff, different day) I mean, there are mundane things like Snugglebutt (7) got straight A's on his report card, and made principals list, but brought home a note that said they're concerned about his academic progress. Had a hard time figuring that one out, but it turns out, his penmanship is pretty atrocious, so that's all it was. Ok, and Allison (22) is talking about moving back to Ohio, but I try not to think about it much because I don't want it to happen. But, everything else - eh, you don't want to hear about that. I haven't even made any purple sauce lately. My children are grateful.

The main thing on my mind lately really, is divorce. Kind of. When I filed for divorce in April of 06, I joined an email list for people who were going through divorce. It is aimed at Christians but is open to anybody, and it's all about recovering from divorce. The group owner needed some help, so I agreed to become moderator, oh, probably about a year ago. It's really become to me one of those things which I feel called to do. There are some hurting people, and every now and then, I'm able to help them see something in a way they weren't able to before. I hope I'm not coming across as tooting my own horn, because really I've never been good at musical instruments, I'm just so pleased that I can be of help once in a while. Because I've been where they are.

Oh there are several situations, several reasons, obviously. Infidelity, abuse, alcoholism, drug addiction, sex addiction... I'm not even the only person who has an ex in prison for crimes against children. But 99 percent of the people there have the same basic issues, and the biggest one is that they don't truly understand their worth to their creator. I confess sometimes I have this problem too, but I understand much better now than I ever have. It took a lot to get there. It took figuring out why I didn't have self worth to begin with. That looks different (but probably amazingly similar) for everyone, and I can't tell anybody how to go about getting self worth for themselves - you can't just go buy it at Stuffmart! But when I know who I am, when I remember what God says about me, it's a lot easier to have hope for healing.

So with that in mind, I thought it was a good time to repeat this:

I am accepted---
I am God's child - John 1:12
As a disciple, I am a friend of Jesus Christ - John 15:15
I have been justified - Romans 5:1
I am united with the Lord, I am one with Him in spirit - 1 Cor. 6:17
I have been bought with a price and I belong to God - 1 Cor. 6:19,20
I am a member of Christ's body - 1 Cor. 12:27
I have been chosen by God and adopted as His child - Eph. 1:3-8
I have been redeemed and forgiven of all my sins - Col. 1:13-14
I am complete in Christ - Col 2:9-10

I am secure --
I am free from condemnation - Romans 8:1-2
I am assured that ALL things work together for good - Romans 8:28
I am free from any condemning charges against me - Romans 8:31-34
I cannot be separated from the love of God - Romans 8:35-39
I have been established, anointed and sealed by God - 2 Cor 1:21-22
I am hidden with Christ in God - Col 3:1-4
I am confident that God will complete His work in me - Phil 1:6
I am a citizen of Heaven - Phil 3:20
I have not been given a spirit of fear but of power, love and a sound mind - 2 Tim 1:7
I can find grace and mercy to help in time of need - Heb 4:16
I am born of God and the evil one cannot touch me - 1 John :18

I am significant --
I have been chosen and appointed to bear fruit - John 15:16
I am God's temple - 1 Cor 3:16
I am a minister of reconciliation for God - 2 Cor 5:17-21
I am God's co-worker - 2 Cor 6:1
I am seated with Jesus Christ in the heavenly realm - Eph 2:6
I am God's workmanship - Eph 2:10
I may approach God with freedom and confidence - Eph 3:12
I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me - Phil 4:13

So what are YOU worth? Only the blood of God's own son, who died FOR YOU. That's a lot.

No comments: