Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Because a thankful heart is a happy heart

This year, for the first year since 2004, it's just going to be us for Thanksgiving. It makes me a little sad that we're not getting together with the friends that we have for the past few years, but it will still be a wonderful day. We've got a traditional meal planned, along with this yummy looking cheesecake, and since I'm off work tomorrow night, I can spend most of the day playing with the kids. Maybe we'll go to the park after dinner. Maybe we'll go to a movie. Maybe we'll just lay around being more stuffed than our turkey was before we got to it. But whatever we end up doing, thankfulness for all God has provided will never be far from our minds. But you know, we don't need thanksgiving to be thankful. I've learned it's necessary to be in a constant state of thankfulness no matter what the circumstances. For even the breath that I take, I am thankful. Because I've discovered through the past 3.5 years that it's really hard to be mopey and down in the dumps when I am thankful and praising God. Simplistic? Maybe... Maybe I'm just easily pleased. But when I stop thinking about how difficult life really can be (which is a focus on self really,) and start focusing on just being thankful, things aren't quite so hard.

My prayers this Thanksgiving is that we all can find blessings in simple gratitude. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

2 comments:

Ann said...

A little gratitude goes a long way on my attitude too! Happy Thanks Giving!

Isadora said...

Amen sister! You too realize that it is not 'automatic' that we can breath on our own. :) It is a gift. Yupp, being thankful - and there is so much - does make all the difference in the world. Glad you've shared and hope that you've had a wonderful, restful week-end with your immediate family.