Thursday, January 03, 2008

I forgot

Because Sam is 18, has a driver's license, a car, his own friends, and his own life, it's been a while since he's done a lot of things with us. He didn't go with us to Flagstaff when we went in October. He doesn't go to church with us anymore (he goes to church on his own, he does go, just not with us) and he doesn't eat dinner with us most of the time anymore. As he gets older, it gets harder for him to want to spend time with the little kids and hang out with mom. It's ok, they grow up. Allison did the same thing, and now she doesn't even live with us anymore. I've been expecting it with Sam.

But he's going with us to Flagstaff this time. When I decided to make an overnight trip of it, he perked up a bit. "Mom, I can bring the Monopoly game you got me, and we can play in the hotel. And why don't you bring that travel Scrabble game?" He's making plans. What we should bring, what we should do. "It will probably be dark by the time we get there, huh? We should bring the tripod to take pictures of the stars. I can point out stuff to the kids." He's excited.

It may not last long, but for right now, for tonight and tomorrow, I've got my little boy back. My little boy who loved to go on day trips, seeing new things, and spending time with his family. In the midst of his growing up, I seem to have forgotten that little boy is still inside that soon-to-be man that sleeps in my basement. I'm glad he's come back for a visit. It may not last long, but I'm going to treasure it.

And maybe I can get a picture of him jumping bed to bed in the hotel room.

4 comments:

Rebekah said...

Glad you got to spend time with him. On aggravting days with the kids, I remind myself that one day they will have their own life and I will miss them terribly.

Debbie C. said...

Hope you all had a great trip and I think it's great that he is willing to hang out with you guys. Enjoy those special family times.

Robyn Jones said...

I am just going through that with my teen girls right now....and I am finding it really hard....:(

Ann said...

That is sweet! I hope my little boy and girl stick around for a while--I'm not ready for them to move out (good thing, they're only 3 and 5)...but it'll happen soon enough