Saturday, February 23, 2008

Another thing about 911 you may not know

I've mentioned that any cell phone, even those without service, can dial 911 as long as the battery is charged, because a lot of people don't know that.

Another thing a lot of people don't seem to know is that when you dial 911 and they transfer you to another agency, they can still hear you. It's not the same as most places where you are put on hold while they dial the other number. (I'm fairly certain that it works this way for all 911 centers, but I could be wrong.) So for example, when someone calls for an ambulance and I transfer them to the fire department, I can hear what's going on in the background, or rude comments people make. And this morning when the guy called about the vehicle speeding down the freeway, when he thought he was on hold waiting for highway patrol, I heard every word he said when he told his buddy in the car "Dude, never date a 911 operator, they're just NUTS!"

Just a little FYI so that us nuts don't hear you say things you think we can't :D

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

Now thats funny. But you have to admit, with our crazy schedule and the crazy calls we get... we are forced to be a little nutswmlfrqef

Donna said...

I found you on Blogshare and came to check out your blog. Greetings!

Joanne said...

Loved that Connie! I have heard many an interesting word or two while transfering a caller myself...

Blessings, Joanne