Thursday, March 20, 2008

A rant

This has been on my mind a while now, but I haven't exactly found the words I want to use to say it. I think there's something seriously wrong with our society. First of all, Britney Spears. Love her or hate her, I really do think the press needs to leave her alone. The other day on the Fox News website, there was a link to pictures of her cellulite-ridden thighs, and of her gallivanting around town bra-less. You know, famous or not, this is not news, and goes way beyond anything we need to know about her. That's tasteless, tacky, and mean.

The other thing, is that reality show that they've got on now, Moment of Truth. What kind of person goes on a national television show to pour out their deepest and darkest secrets for money? And in the process hurts everybody close to them? And, what kind of person WATCHES that mess? Have we as a society become so voyeuristic and sadistic that we have to delight in the pain of others? I truly felt horrible for the woman on a few weeks ago, Lauren Cleri. I didn't watch it (and I will not watch it) but I read an article that says that after her episode aired, she was facing divorce, she was unemployed, and she won no money at all even after admitting to an extra-marital affair on national television. The thing that got me was when I read why she lost the show - the lie detector detected a fib when they asked her if she thought she was a good person, and she answered yes. Her inner turmoil and pain there on display for the world to see, it disgusts me that there is even such a television show.

Yes, I can choose not to watch, and I do. But again, I just wonder about the society we live in that produces such a thing. Just my rambling thoughts for the day. Dontcha wish I'd go back to work? :)

4 comments:

Janean said...

Tried watching the first episode of Moment of Truth and it gave me a stomach ache. I have enough stress in my life without watching that garbage.
GREAT new picture! :D

Rebekah said...

The news always talks about how eveyone one wants to know about Brittany. Well who is everyone? Cuz it aint anyone I know.

The Moment of Truth is like Jerry Springer only not so white trashy

Michelle in Mx said...

I JUST read an article in Plugged in Magazine put out by Focus on the Family telling about this show.
I was APPAULED!
It's cruel.
It's sad.

Jo Ann said...

Janean, Rebekah, Michelle, and Connie...I'm with you. Sadly I have to admit I have been watching some of this mess as of late. I am going to make a conscious decision/choice to read Christian blogs, my Bible and pray for deliverance from viewing them. Not only do I feel badly for the Britney Spears, Lisa Lohans, any any celebrities who are exploited by the media just for the sake of ratings and lets not forget that almighty dollar. As a society alot of people have become completely desensitized to all the terrible, carnal elements filling our television screens, magazines, movie theaters,and music.

Satan is so slick and he makes things look like they are good for us and when we get ensnared he pulls the rug out from under us and says, Gotcha....We're all too good for that, however if we engage in letting this sort of stuff get in our thoughts and our eyegates, satan can attack us.

I much rather have God on my side and therefore I am going to steer clear of things that give satan a foothold. No, we all fall short and God knows we're going to sin before we do, but I'm going to make every effort to think before I watch this negative garbage that permeates our world. Thank you all for bringing this topic up and giving me food for thought. God's Blessings! Jo Ann here in Denver