Friday, March 21, 2008

The Top of the Mountain

One thing I've always liked about Phoenix is the mountains around and in it. When my youngest son was turning 3 (he's 8 now) all he wanted to do for his birthday was to go climb a mountain. So my family and I started hiking. We'd go every week or so, and we usually ended up on North Mountain, because it's fairly close to us. I always had fun, but struggled every time we went. We'd park in a spot where there was a rocky path that went up to a set of stone steps and then there was a paved trail the rest of the way up the mountain. I always had to stop halfway up the rocky path, then rest for a while before the stone steps, and I never EVER made it up all the way, it was just too hard for me. That mountain kicked my butt every time. When my ex-husband was arrested, we stopped going on a regular basis. Partially because the feelings were too raw - we had been there with him shortly before his arrest, so many memories would come flooding back. After I had healed some, I started purposely going to places where he and I went or we went as a family, so that I could conquer those old memories and make new memories there. We went back to that mountain after a while, but I still was not able to get very far. Until yesterday, it had been a really long time, probably 2-3 years since I've been to that mountain. Since I'm on vacation from work, which is where I've been doing the majority of my exercise in my quest to not be a cow get healthy, I figured it would be a good time to visit the mountain again. My kids were bored, and I needed to find some alternate method of sweating my posterior off getting myself moving, so off we went - the 8 year old boy, Snugglebutt, the 10 year old girl, Sassy, and me. I got past the rocky path just fine, and didn't need to stop once. The kids wanted to stop at the stone steps, so we did and they ate a little snack. Wimps. We got moving again, and got to the paved path, which is very steep in parts. There were a lot of people there, and people watching was half the fun. People running up the mountain effortlessly, people pushing baby strollers up, people huffing and puffing like me. Skinny people, fat people, people in army fatigues, people in business suits, people in spandex, people who really needed to be wearing more than they were. And the wildflowers out were just beautiful. Thankfully I had my camera :) It was a bit of a challenge having the kids with me, as neither of them stopped talking at all. It went kind of like this:
SB: Mom, how are mountains made?
Me: [huff puff]
Sassy: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6...
SB: Sassy, stop counting!
Sassy: 7, 8, 9, 10...
SB: What are you counting?
Sassy: My steps. 11, 12...
SB: My legs are about to expire. Did you know my legs have an
expiration date? It's today.
Me: [pant pant]
Sassy: ...100, 101, 102...
SB: Is this mountain a status symbol?
Me: WHAT?!
SB: We should just hitchhike up this mountain.
Me: [huff puff pant]
Sassy: ...200, 201, 202...
SB: Sassy, stop it!!! Mom, is it illegal to hitchhike?
Me: Yes.
SB: Why?
Me: Because it's dangerous.
SB: Why is it dangerous?
Me: I am too busy trying to breathe to explain this to you right
now!
SB: Ok. Mom, did you know you can say why to everything? You can.
Say something to me, I'll say why.
Me: No.
SB: Why?
Sassy: ...304, 304...
SB: Sassy! STOP IT!!!
Me: [huff huff puff puff pant]
SB: [as a group of people were approaching in the opposite direction, several of whom were moderately overweight] Oh my gosh! Your legs are SO FAT!!! [it was directed at Sassy, who is anything BUT fat, but try telling that to every lady with fat thighs on that mountain...]
Me: Will you [huff pant] just STOP [puff huff puff] TALKING!!!!

But you know what? I MADE IT! I got to the top. Me, the slug, the sloth, the couch potato. Me who was always picked last in gym class. Me who is the polar opposite of athletic. This time, I kicked the mountain's butt :)




2 comments:

Rebekah said...

that is so funny. When I am trying to exercise my gilrs will come in the room and start asking all kinds of questions. Then they will want me to get this or that. I (huff puff) try to answer them.

Dont the understand that even listening to them talk makes it harder to exercise??

I am hitting the weight loss hard too. Instead of losing 10 I put on 5. I am buckling down!

Janean said...

AAAAAHHHHHH! I'm laughing so hard I can't breathe. Sounds like me and my kids when we go walking.
YOU MADE IT. WOOHOOO! I'm proud of you. :D