Wednesday, April 30, 2008

In a car without breaks going down a really steep hill

Most of what I deal with at work is routine even though it's 911. Even the stuff that is really and truly an emergency is routine most of the time. Oh, you've been shot? Where are you? It happens frequently enough that it really doesn't rattle me. So most of the time I don't even bother telling people about what I hear because it's really not all that interesting. Last night though, I had a call that made me say "WHAT?!" We answer 911 and the non-emergency police line. If a call is medical, we transfer it to the fire department and are done with it, so I don't deal with the people who break their ankles jumping off buildings when they are drunk or stuff like that. The calls I deal with are the police related stuff only. So last night, the woman called our non-emergency line, and had some police related questions. The gist of her story was that she had been to court earlier in the day and got a restraining order against her ex-boyfriend. They had been sharing a house, but she was staying at a friend's. During the course of the call she revealed to me that she had been in the emergency room several times over the course of the past few days primarily for migraines, and she had taken medication before she called. Her concern was for her dog. She had had this dog for 6 years and apparently slept with it every night and was very upset because it was still at the house where the ex-boyfriend on whom she took out a court order making him stay away from her. She told me that he was not feeding the dog, making it stay outside in the almost 100 degree heat, and that he told her he was going to open the gate so the dog would run away. She wanted to know what she could do to get her dog after I let her know that no, officers would not go to pick up the dog and bring it to her. I let her know about the procedures we have in place to pick up property with police there to keep the peace and otherwise if she was that concerned she should call the animal abuse hotline, and I provided their contact information. She thanked me for the phone number, and then asked what the phone number was to set it up for the officers to assist her to go pick up her dog, and I told her "that's the same number you called to speak to me," and gave her the non-emergency police number. This is where it got weird. It went kind of like this:
Caller: Ok, let me ask you one more question.
Me: Go ahead.
Caller: Who are you?
Me: My name is Connie, with the police department.
Caller: THE POLICE?!
Me: Yes...
Caller: WHO CALLED THE POLICE?!
Me: Umm, you did...
This made her FURIOUS!
Caller: I most certainly did NOT CALL the POLICE! I called my ex-boyfriend! Ohhh, I get it.... now he's having the police call me to harass me!!
Me: No, I promise you, I did not call you...
Caller: Are you calling me a liar?!
Me: Ma'am, you called to ask about your dog... you did tell me earlier that you took some medication for your migraines, maybe you don't remember...
Caller: OH SO NOW YOU ARE SUGGESTING THAT I'M ON DRUGS?!
It just went down hill from there.

5 comments:

Rebekah said...

lol- shes nuts

HotRodHanna said...

hahaha. Thats awesome! Those calls leave you wondering what just happened?!#$

Michelle in Mx said...

GOODNESS! And bless you! Just kinda shake your head . . .

samar bloggirl said...

hehehe. thanks for sharing that story, REALLY made me laugh...

Anonymous said...

Wow! The world is full of them isn't it?!